Faculty of Philosophy
Universiteto str. 9
01513 Vilnius, Lithuania
Located at the Old Campus of Vilnius University
Vilnius University – the oldest and largest Lithuanian higher education institution. Since its establishment in the 16th century, Vilnius University, as integral part of European science and culture has embodied the concept of a classical university and the unity of studies and research.
The Old Campus of Vilnius university
The complex of University buildings extends over a whole block of the Old Town. Its original architecture attracts the visitor’s attention. The construction of the University buildings was carried on over the centuries under the changing influences of the Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical styles. The campus began to take shape in about 1570 in a city quarter belonging to the Bishop of Vilnius. By that time, the area had already been built up with brick houses. It later gradually expanded to the east and to the north, towards St.John’s church. Bounded by four streets , the campus is composed of 13 buildings, some of them having multiple structures, the Church of St.John, and the belfry. The buildings are arranged around 13 courtyards of different shape and size. At present the Rector’s Office, the Library, the Faculties of Philology, Philosophy, and History, as well as Institute of Foreign Languages and the Centre of Oriental Studies are situated there.
Transport and Travel Information
Getting to Vilnius
Vilnius is served by two airports: the Vilnius International Airport, seven kilometers from the city center, and the Kaunas International Airport, approximately one hundred kilometers from Vilnius. There are shuttle buses between Kaunas International Airport and Vilnius (cost about 10 EUR, tickets can be bought online).
Getting from the Vilnius International Airport
Vilnius Airport is about 8 km away from the conference venue.